[Libreoffice] Need to add Arabic Math Symbols to LibreOffice Math

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 03:53:22 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 03:37 +0200, Ibraheem Saed wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> LibreOffice Math doesn't support Arabic math symbols.
>
> I need to add the Arabic math symbols to "LibreOffice Math" Aligned
> from right to left.
>
> Arabic math symbols like are English math symbols; but writing is
> reversed (from right to left and symbols are opposite).

Hmmm, Unicode technical report #25 seems to be the relevant
documentation around this.

http://www.unicode.org/Public/5.2.0/ucd/BidiMirroring.txt for the right
to left forms which can be synthesized from existing unicode code points

And the opentype "rtlm" table for including right to left forms in the
font itself.

It *looks* to me on a casual look through, that some support in our text
rendering would be needed to take the text to be rendered, look up if
the font has a rtlm mapping for the glyph, and if it doesn't then see if
the font has a glyph for its BidiMirroring equivalent, and if not then
try and just swap the glyph around ?

C.