[Libreoffice] Java baseline is 1.5, right?

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Sep 15 06:45:06 PDT 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:38:04 +0200
Fridrich Strba
<fridrich.strba at graduateinstitute.ch>
wrote:

> Hello, Michael,
>
> On 15/09/11 15:06, Michael Stahl wrote:
> > just noticed David's commit to move around the fix for a broken IBM
> > LinuxPPC JRE:
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=ab5ce3f70a5635c3ca141b5c8928a104b522e1bb
> > AFAIK the OOo JRE baseline was raised to 1.5 some years ago, right?
> > so 1.4 seems obsolete and we can get rid of it now?
>
> No real baseline for us here. It is true that our release builds for
> linux, we build them with --with-java-target-version=1.5 using 1.6 as
> javac. Nevertheless, if a fix for 1.4 is reasonably cheap, it cannot
> be bad to keep it building.

OTOH 'mostly working on 1.4' doesnt help anybody and creates useless
bug traffic -- better clearly state its unsupported and be done with
it. And even small fixes for obsolete stuff can stack quite high (just
look at all the Win16 optimizations in the codebase).

Best,

Bjoern

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen