[Libreoffice] Fwd: gbuild question

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 11:57:58 PDT 2011

forgot to Reply-all :-(

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 1:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Libreoffice] gbuild question
To: Peter Foley <pefoley2 at verizon.net>

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Peter Foley <pefoley2 at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Peter Foley <pefoley2 at verizon.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm working on converting soltools to gbuild but I've come across a
>> > problem.
>> > soltools/testhxx/makefile.mk echos the commandline to compile a
>> > cxx file to a temporary file and then runs it through a perl script.
>> > What I need is a way to get the command line used to compile a file with
>> > out actually executing it.
>> > With dmake this seems to be accomplished with
>> > CAPTURE_COMMAND but I haven't been able to find equivalent funcionality in
>> > gbuild. A pointer would be appreciated.
>>
>> Peter,
>>
>> The first question you should ask youself is: is this thing actually
>> used somewhere....
>>
>> git grep testhxx
>> soltools/prj/build.lst:so  soltools\testhxx
>> nmake   -   all so_testhxx so_mkdep NULL
>> soltools/prj/d.lst:..\%__SRC%\bin\testhxx* %_DEST%\bin\testhxx*
>> soltools/testhxx/create.pl:    $in =~ s!\S+/testhxx.cxx!-x c++ /proc/self/fd/0!
>> soltools/testhxx/create.pl:    $in =~ s!\S+/testhxx.cxx!\${my_tmp}!
>> soltools/testhxx/create.pl:    $in =~ s!\S+/testhxx.cxx!\${my_tmp}!
>> soltools/testhxx/create.pl:    print STDOUT 'echo \'no testhxx on this
>> platform\'', "\n";
>> soltools/testhxx/makefile.mk:TARGET := testhxx
>> soltools/testhxx/makefile.mk:CAPTURE_OUTPUT = >
>> $(MISC)$/testhxx.output && $(TOUCH) $(SLO)$/testhxx.obj
>> soltools/testhxx/makefile.mk:SLOFILES = $(SLO)$/testhxx.obj
>> soltools/testhxx/makefile.mk:$(BIN)$/$(TARGET) .ERRREMOVE :
>> $(MISC)$/testhxx.output create.pl
>> soltools/testhxx/makefile.mk:    $(PERL) -w create.pl <
>> $(MISC)$/testhxx.output > $@
>> soltools/testhxx/makefile.mk:$(MISC)$/testhxx.output: $(SLO)$/testhxx.obj
>>
>> Apparently the answer is.. no.
>>
>> Not that soltools contain mostly stuff in support for the old build
>> system. it is possible that some of theses tools may still be
>> used/needed by gbuild... but it is quite possible that most will not.
>>
>> That may not be the best module to convert. if any of it remain
>> necessary after the full gbuild conversion, it will be the last module
>> to ever join tail_build since any dmake module left would  depends on
>> it.
>>
>> Norbert
>>

> Ok, I'll work on another module.

One module that is not 'easy' but would be very useful, because it is
blocking things from getting merged into tail_build is 'scripting'

it is not easy because it does things that are probably not covered by
gbuild right now, and is quite messy..
so it would be useful to first figure out _what_ it does (by
opposition to _how_ it does it) and find a way to transcribe the
'spirit' rather than the 'letter' of it.
If you decide to give it a shoot, use a feature branch to allow for
review, rather than pushing directly on master, as there is likely to
be quite a few platform dependent corner cases.

I've pushed the branch feature/external_gbuild with the work I've done
so far to try to support external library natively under gbuild... it
is a work in progress and I've push an attempt to convert zlib using
this method....  I'm pushing it because I did not find much time to
make significant progress on that recently, but I'd like to avoid work
duplication....

Norbert

Norbert