[Libreoffice] Disputed bug requires developer ruling

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 09:05:09 PDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Jonathan
<winelauncher.jonathan at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I need to call bug 40893 to the attention of somebody in a position to rule on it. It has been closed inappropriately by a non dev without a second opinion or review by a developer.

I've just reviewd it.
The bug has been close after discussion and substantiation. It sound
to me the the crux of the argument is summarized in comment #6
[
> Perhaps the problem is that LibreOffice doesn't distinguish between "all the
> cells" and "the whole table".

Yes, that exactly seems to be the point. I will think about that some days
(other reports, Mailing lists, did I see any similar requests, ...) and check
how an enhancement request could have prospect of success
]

> The bug has been reproduced and has documentation in the user interface, so triage should now be complete and it should now be ready for developer attention if it hadn't been closed as "notabug"

Because it is not a bug. it is a consistent UI behavior (as in
selection of bunch of cells versus selection of a 'table'. you can
describe a UI enhemcement in order to be able to select a 'whole
table' versus selecting a bunch of cells... but that is not a bug...
especially since the behavior has been documented is the associated
user guide.

> Only a developer is in a position to know if the inconsistent table handling behaviour documented in the bug report was intended to be like that, or is infact a bug.

Developers trust the QA team to triage.  You are welcome to disagree
with their conclusion and even to bring attention to your disagreement
to wider circle... but dismissing a reasoned 'not-bug' on the ground
that the person doing the closing is not a 'developer' is an Ad
Hominem fallacy and is unlikely to achieve your goal.

More constructive would be to develop a consensus based on the common
ground that was found in comment 6 and evolve this to a Request For
Enhancement.

Norbert