[Libreoffice] clean rebuilds needed

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Sep 26 10:00:24 PDT 2011

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:49:22 +0100
Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:

> I *suppose* it would be madness to have dependency rules on the
> makefiles themselves that anything created by the makefiles is out of
> date when the makefiles change ?

*In theory* that would be roughly possible with gbuild because there we
have at least a sensible Makefile to Library relation (In the old build
system it would be utterly impossible, because of the lack of that).
However, many Makefile changes do not require an full rebuild, and OTOH
-- if you take that approach serious: You would need to do a full
rebuild everytime anything in solenv/gbuild changes (new compile flag
switch introduced under certain circumstances etc.).
The concept of dependencies only get you so far -- the rest is better
left to caching (aka ccache).

Best,

Bjoern

--