[Libreoffice] --enable-werror

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Sep 26 10:47:55 PDT 2011

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:40:26 +0100
Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com>
wrote:

> 	The 'good old' days - where all work had to be done in a
> branch, and then compiled on two platforms before merging is *gone*
> (and -very- good riddance). I'll personally stamp on anything that
> smells like an attempt to pull us back to that world -really-
> hard :-) JFYI. If brokenness gets to master, fine - we fix it ASAP,
> and hope that people commit features & fixes more frequently :-)

This seems to me to be a bit overzealous. Invoking the impression that
development on branches is oldschool and obsolete is just wrong --
there is a reason for every major DSCM to put a lot of work in making
development on branches so easy that it is not a hassle at all and the
benefits can be collected without any overhead. If anything is
oldschool and obsolete, it is dogmatically _not_ using branches as they
are free now and not the pain like they where on Subversion or CVS.

Making no commits on master and every commit on a branch (like OOo did
unless you had the godlike RelEng rights) was way wrong of course.
Apply common sense. IMHO it could be quite healthy to have some more
work done on (publicly visible) branches(*).

That being said: A new warning is not a shooting offense IMHO (for
reasons you stated quite eloquently). Breaking master on you own
working platform however should induce a healthy amount of shame, as it
is very easy to test that and it is very impolite to cause others
pains (and it also slows down development as way more people are
affected by this).

Best,

Bjoern

(*) Keep in mind that with git _everything_ is done on a branch
already by definition. In doesnt hurt to also keep in mind that there is
the option to easily push changes to a branch on fdo besides pushing
directly to master or keeping stuff local. A lot of stuff is being done
on "invisible branches" already: Those 10-20 commits which are pushed to
master as one. I dont think it would hurt anyone, if this branch is
visible as it grows commits instead of being hidden on a local disc --
actually I think it would help.

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen