[Libreoffice] comprehensive binfilter tests?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Sep 26 12:58:01 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 20:37 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> So the chance of regressions remaining undetected for quite a while
> is IMO higher here than for other typical code changes.

	Made more so by the fact that almost no-one uses the filter ;-)

> (And the cost of analysing the regressions, if they are eventually
> found, will also be rather high, given the aggressive pruning of
> allegedly dead code in the meantime).

	Surely git bisect is pretty impervious to the size or number of
changes ?

> > 	I imagine that something useful for testing binfilter's import (we
> > killed export) may be quite simple
..
> > 	Is that what you were thinking ? :-)
>
> I wasn't thinking anything in particular

	:-) well - if it turns out that, due to the un-varying nature of the
binfilter export, we can just couple the binary -> ODF 'import' of <N>
files, capture that as flat-odf, and diff the files vs. known-good
templates quickly; perhaps we can end up with a fast, simple &
debuggable in-process unit test for this involving almost no code, and
that is rather useful of course.

	Regards,

		Michael.