Providing a mysql connector extension on Linux that works independently of system mysql library versions - a pipe dream ?

Enrico Weigelt enrico.weigelt at vnc.biz
Sun Apr 1 22:22:59 PDT 2012

Hi,

> If I were to follow your reasoning then what would you make of the
> official download for LO precompiled binaries :
>
> http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Nothing. just ignore them. They're pointless anyways.

> Note that for none of those binary packages provide the mysql native
> connector within the download files.

Obvious: fix them.

> but the demand is also there for those people who download LO for
> Linux from the link above.

Drop this, and tell those people to use their distro's package.

> Basically, if I understand what you are saying, and extend your
> reasoning to the current LibreOffice download setup, you would
> rather there be no binary downloads (RPM/DEB) for LO on Linux
> from that site, and that it would be better if everyone would
> just rely on their distros to provide the most up to date versions.

Exactly. That's what distros are for.

Such precompiled binaries are only useful for situations where
there is no such thing like distro concept and package management.
This leaves it to esoteric platforms like Windows. Well, Windows
folks simply should do their homework and implement a proper
package management system. Everyhing else is just a waste of time.

cu