extraordinary stoc/ thrash ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Apr 2 14:22:45 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 22:06 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	I'm also curious if the performance issue here (this code features
> reasonably high on a startup profile IIRC) might be related to the
> multiple '.rdb' file code (?).

	Following that line of attack, with every string allocation and destroy
on stderr with a +/- prefix I get:

$ ./soffice.bin -writer 2>&1 | wc -l
1133316     # ie. 1.1 million - before

$ mv services/scriptproviderfor* services/postgresql-sdbc.rdb not-services/
	# ie. move away 3x 600 byte files:

./soffice.bin -writer 2>&1 | wc -l
516997	   # ie. 500 thousand

	So - those 3x small files seems to double our total number of string
allocation / frees on startup[1] :-)

	it'd be nice to fix that in libreoffice-3-5 if the problem is there
too; hopefully it's some simple oversight; but I guess it does highlight
the need for some unit tests for this lot. [ perhaps with a
dual-compiled / instrumented sal, we could count and chart concrete,
reasonably repeatable things like allocations as a proxy for
performance].

	What would be ultimately nice would be to rid ourselves of this
XRegistry 'stuff' and have a simple XML file, read into some simple
structures, and added to a couple of hashes for the common lookup
patterns we want. Is there any chance of doing that separately, so we
can sever the back-compatible .rdb reading for LibreOffice 4 mostly by
code removal ?

	HTH,

		Michael.

[1] - I use: