string / size bits ... #2 ...

Enrico Weigelt enrico.weigelt at vnc.biz
Mon Apr 2 21:00:27 PDT 2012

Hi,

>  I don't want to spoil the fun much for you :) , but I expect the
>  number of
> string allocations to go down when RTL_CONSTASCII_* stops being used
> in favor
> of string literals, and further down after whenever I get to
> implementing the
> efficient operator+. So you may be profiling a problem for a part of
> which a
> solution already exists.

Just curious: what's the big difference between rtl::OUString and std::string ?

I guess a good toolchain (compiler+stdlibs) can do a lot of optimizations,
which it cannot with an own implementation. For example, if we have lots
of static strings (literals, or statically initialized and const std::string
objects), it could put them all together into one instance in const data
section. I doubt that is possible with own classes without compiler support.

cu