check : build dependency (was: Re: what exactly needs localedata_en library ?)

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Thu Apr 12 12:33:39 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:13:30PM +0200, Matúš Kukan wrote:
> Maybe it is better to just let check target depend on build target ?

No?

> Or do people use make check with demand to build only what is
> necessary for tests and nothing more ?

Well, make check is for after a successful build to check the result, no?

What especially is  bad is when make install (thankfully gone) or make check
rebuild unneeded stuff which gets rebuilt on every pass.

IMHO it should "just" do what it does. Run the tests (yes, I know this involves
some other round of going over all modules, but...)

Regards,

Rene