make check problem in libtest_smoketest building master

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 03:48:24 PDT 2012

On 04/13/2012 11:35 AM, Noel Grandin wrote:
> On 2012-04-12 14:40, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> Insist on people compiling with an unbroken toolchain instead?
>>

> It looks like Fedora is also going to do this:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ChangeInImplicitDSOLinking

No, as already detailed by Michael.

> I'm willing to write a configure test to add the --no-as-needed flag if
> someone can point me in the right direction.
> I can follow the configure.in syntax easily enough, but what would be
> the easiest way to test for the fact that the linker is defaulting to
> --as-needed?

I would still prefer to simply insist on Ubuntu fixing their tool chain.

<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writing_warning-free_code#When_all_else_fails>
"NOTE: The ld --as-needed default was reverted for the final natty
release, and will be re-enabled in the o-series."  This at least seems
to indicate that Ubuntu is aware their move is not without problems.
Noel, do you happen to be affected because you are on a pre-final natty
release (whatever that is)?

Björn, do you know anything about this Ubuntu-specific thing, or anyone
within Ubuntu we could discuss that with?

Stephan