namespace / typing thrash ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Apr 16 04:16:06 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 19:42 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  No, you see it backwards :). It reduces code annoyances for IMO very little
> price.

	Personally I'm a fan of Lubos' efforts here; possibly we need an
underlying namespace to avoid conflicting with other software we link,
but having to endlessly type it looks and feels (as I type it) deeply
annoying.

	On the other hand, I type rtl::OUStringToOString( aFoo,
RTL_TEXTENCODING_UTF8 ).getStr() dozens of times in a week, and each
time it annoys me - but not enough to do anything about it ;-) and if
the namespace allowed me to have an rtl::StringToUtf8(aFoo).getStr()
replacement, I'd be rather happy ;-)

	Anyhow - beyond this - it seems to me that (in general) having some
global namespace aliases that would allow us to migrate away from
the ::com::sun::star:: madness everywhere would be really rather nice
(though one to push to the post-relicensing way-point ;-). ie. having a
global:

	namespace api = com::sun::star::;

	or whatever three-letter, non-magic prefix that someone competent can
make up (and/or we can bike-shed over in advance ;-) that we could use
there would be rather attractive to me, and allow us to lay the work now
(without breaking the ABI) for switching that to a real single
namespace.

> So I see nothing wrong with trying to get them as
> conveniently usable as possible, as ::any::little::annoynance::there
> AddsUpNumerousTimesL BECAUSE_THE_THING_IS_USED_SO_OFTEN.

	Totally agreed; you've done a load to reduce aggravation and increase
readability here, and I love it :-)

	Which makes me thing - as/when we freeze 3.6 it might be a good idea to
have a week-long hack-fest to work on / plan the biggest elements of the
LibreOffice 4 star-treck future API/ABI wise.

	Oh - and finally (Lubos) I pushed an item to the ESC agenda to discuss
whether we should be exposing tons of classes and their symbols in the
product, just to make unit tests work :-)

	All the best,

		Michael.