support for repeating format code in calc

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Wed Apr 18 13:01:41 PDT 2012

Hi Eike,

I've been looking at providing support for the repeating character in
number formats. I've been playing abit with the code and what I have
sofar seems to work reasonably well ( no doubt there are plenty of edge
cases still to be discovered )  But.. life would be simpler I think if
we had just stored a plain format code like docx seems to rather than
the fancy pants xml that's there now :/  thus I need some input at the
very least on persisting the format code to odf. Currently I have
implemented a pretty simple change that introduces a new child element
to the number-style definition ( see 0002-xxxxx.patch attached ) Talking
to Kohei he says that you investigated those special financial formats
that use the repeat code at some point and I wondered if you had any
input, ideas or comments. I'm not at all sure about the xml choice I
made and would be happy to take on board any suggestions for that or....
perhaps you might have a sneaky way to avoid an odf change/addition
altogether.  Also I worry a little that there seemed to be at one point
support for the '*' format code, I wonder what the history was or is it
just a case of unfinished business?  Note: I partially re-enabled that
for the basic xls import support ( see
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=46e18bc915ac94a81462642cc9d56d29c04d0c46
and follow up patch
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=808dd658a265f565a638556322250a0957e8e535
)

sofar the results can be probably best explained by a simple screencast
http://users.freedesktop.org/~noelp/fillformat/financial-cell-format.ogv

thanks,

Noel