[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 02:36:52 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:

> This is solvable with updating the VM's git repos "in the background," just
> taking the latest image when starting a VM.
>
> Before we abandoned work on OOo at Oracle last year, we were busy setting up
> a cool VM cluster for such builds.  Michael's remark about handing failed
> build VMs over to devs reminded me about the various benefits we envisioned
> from that work.

Yeah that sound cool indeed... but pretty resource intensive and not
'distributed friendly'....
To work you need the devs to come to the VMs rather than the other way
around ( because practically transferring 20-30 GB over internet is a
pretty high barrier)
So we wold have to have a set of 'centralized servers' and manage the
credential of all the devs that want access to it... and then manage
somehow the 'traffic' on these box to avoid congestion....
Not inconceivable, but need some thinking and some tooling to make it
practical...

But, as you said... that is a completely different ballgame...

Norbert