Help about Calc Functions

Sophie Gautier gautier.sophie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:59:36 PDT 2012

Hi Italo,
On 23/04/2012 16:55, Italo Vignoli wrote:
> I have tried to figure out the thinking behind the Calc Functions Help,
> but after a couple of days I have given up because it looks impossible
> to understand.
>
> Basically, the problems are the following:
>
> 1. Functions are not listed alphabetically. Does it make sense? Does it
> make sense to swap them inside the file to create al alphabetical order
> (which is the usual order for human beings)?
>
> 2. Size of files is wildly different. There are huge files like Math
> Functions and small files like Financial Functions which are even split
> in sections (where the contents do not follow any order, while it would
> be more useful to have - for instance - "Financial Functions A-L"
> instead of "Financial Functions Part One"). Does it make sense to split
> large files to make them more manageable? Does it make sense to rename
> sections to make them like these: A-L and M-Z?
>
> (Of course, this does not mean that I already know how to split help
> files or to create new help files... but it might be worth studying it
> if it makes sense to improve the overall usability of the help, which is
> now almost useless in several areas).
>
> 3. There are<comments>  like "see also TANG". Does it make sense to make
> these comments, which might sometimes be useful, be visible to end
> users? In my opinion, having this kind of stuff buried into XML and
> invisible to the end user does not make sense, so either I uncomment it
> making it visible to end user or I delete it (I feel that the first
> option is the best one).

For information, because the Help file was not so helpful, we wrote a
wiki page some (long) time ago, this page was referenced in the HC2 file
and was maintained more that the HC2 file. I've ported it on
LibreOffice, but it's in French however I know you read it and may be it
can help you to figure out how it could look better.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/FR/Calc/Fonctions_listees_par_categories
Kind regards
Sophie

--