[PUSHED][3-5] Re: [REVIEW-3-5 3-5-3] default to Office 2007/2010 filters for export to ooxml

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at suse.cz
Tue Apr 24 05:35:52 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 01:38:09PM +0200, Michael Stahl <mstahl at redhat.com> wrote:
> so "Office 2007" and "Open XML" actually do different things? i have
> always wondered why the heck we have 2 of these but forgot to ask...

Not two separate filters, it only makes
GetExport().GetFilter().getVersion() (in docxattributeoutput.cxx) return
oox::core::ECMA_DIALECT.

For the import case, it isn't hard to parse both in the same filter,
since it's mostly about "left/right" vs "start/end" and so on.

> i'd say that since evidently there is no relevant software that we need
> to interoperate with that actually conforms with the "Open XML"
> standard, our filter for it is a proof of concept that is mainly of
> academic interest and agree that we should de-emphasize it in favor of
> actual interoperability with whatever actual Microsoft Office products
> produce and consume.

As far as I know Office 2010 can parse what we call the standard, but
Office 2007 can't. (Which is not a surprise, given that it was
"standardized" in 2008, if I'm not wrong.)