distro-configs files, autogen.sh options, defaults etc

Enrico Weigelt enrico.weigelt at vnc.biz
Tue Apr 24 09:10:47 PDT 2012

> Running "./autogen.sh --with-system-libs" fails as soon as it finds
> one external library that does not exist system-wide (and there's pretty
> much bound to be one, given what all kinds of libs we use).

build as an user which does not have additional (local) libraries installed ?

> So one has to try,
> fail, add one --without-system-foo, and repeat until it builds. And
> try again
> with next distro upgrade, or carry a growing list of options.

Distro maintainers have to do the same, potentially for each release.

So, why not just dropping all 3rdparty libs that are included in
mainline distros ?

>  Thinking of it, it'd be probably enough if --with-system-libs acted
> as --with-system-foo=auto for all such external libs.

Such a build (binary image) will likely not be portable to other systems,
as soon as the target system misses some of the libs that existed during
build are not installed on the target system.

cu
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Enrico Weigelt
VNC - Virtual Network Consult GmbH
Head Of Development

Äußere Bayreuther Str. 55, D - 90409 Nürnberg
Tel: +49 911 72303-30
Fax: +49 911 72303-50

enrico.weigelt at vnc.biz; www.vnc.de