distro-configs files, autogen.sh options, defaults etc

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Apr 25 13:17:39 PDT 2012

Hi Lubos,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 05:05:55PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> ... whatever my definition of meaning of that is ...

Thats no way to weaselword out of the real issue. I already proposed you to
implement an explicit:

 ./autogen.sh --automagic

without changing the current default behaviour of ./configure, if you deem this
important. That should make it a bit easier for newcomers while keeping the
default predictable. Default to autodetect would really be creating havoc as
e.g. a security-update of a dependency might change the build result and thus
introduce a ftbfs or interesting new bugs without the source package itself
changing(*). That would totally insane and thus has to be avoided.

So: Go ahead with --automagic. What are we bikeshedding about?

Best,

Bjoern

(*) While this can (and did) happen just by changes in the package itself,
automagically toggling configure-output is severly raising the risk.