[GSoC2012] Introduction / Impress smartphone remote control

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Apr 26 01:49:42 PDT 2012

Hi there,

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 20:55 +0100, Andrzej J. R. Hunt wrote:
> About me: I'm a first year Engineering Student at Cambridge University
> -- I don't yet know what type of Engineering I'm going to end up
> branching into, but electrical is looking most likely at the moment.

	Nice :-) I did that course myself a few years back.

> Alternatively, avoiding the GPL, I'd have to write separate code for
> each platform, and use dbus under linux in order to get around GPL
> issues since bluez is GPL'd (in which case I'd probably use C++ as the
> programming language).

	Of course, I'd prefer to have something we can distribute built into
every LibreOffice we ship, and ideally written in C++ :-) Extensions
have the downside that they tend to get lost / forgotten in the haze of
things surrounding the project.

	Hopefully for Windows & Mac, there are bluetooth APIs we can use
directly; ultimately I think we really want to layer a very simple
protocol over a basic socket:

	sock = socket(AF_BLUETOOTH, SOCK_STREAM, BTPROTO_RFCOMM);

	etc. ? right ? :-) Hopefully it's not too much awful work to abstract
that per platform. Anyhow - it sounds like an exciting project :-)

	All the best,

		Michael.