a stab at removing atl stuff. window experience needed.

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Fri Apr 27 05:40:31 PDT 2012

Hi Caolán,

Caolán McNamara schrieb:
> In an effort to make building under windows a pain-free as possible.
> I'm playing with removing the atl usage in embedserv seeing as
> MSVC2008 Express doesn't come with it.

But there is a way to get the needed libraries.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnWindowsWithCygwinAndMSVCExpress#Getting_ATL_work_with_Visual_Studio_Express

> voodoo-programming in embedserv using:
> http://samscode.blogspot.com/2009/10/atl-removal-part-1-removing-begincommap.html
>
>  I end up with the attached.
>
> a) I haven't a clue what embedserv even does, or how to test it ? b)
> I see that we have...
>
> CComModule _Module; BEGIN_OBJECT_MAP(ObjectMap) END_OBJECT_MAP()
>
> _Module.Init(ObjectMap, hInstance, NULL); ... _Module.Term();
>
> because I'm clueless, I'm wondering if this even makes sense when we
> have an empty OBJECT_MAP ?, or is still doing some necessary
> reference counting of the module itself ? I mean we could follow
> http://samscode.blogspot.com/2009/10/atl-removal-part-3-tackling-module-and.html
> and convert it over. But might be a bit silly to do that if its just
> some non-functional stub left over form some wizard generated code.

I don't know about the code. But I thought atl is needed for OLE
embedding. You should be able to use MathType for example.  You can test
it with a new OLE object of type PaintBrush. (Insert > Object > OLE
object > From file seems to be broken in the moment.)

Kind regards
Regina