Solarmutex Deadlock when Closing Calc which contains functions with XVolatileResult return values

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 07:31:44 PDT 2012

Hi anwen,

On Tuesday, 2012-07-31 08:30:30 -0700, anwen wrote:

> Eike, I agree with you that the listeners are destroyed during document
> close. I observed it in my log file. However, the worker thread is running
> asynchronously if not calling the listeners' modified function. How can it
> know that the document is closed, stop calling the modified function, and
> quit itself gracefully. So in the first post, I asked if there is a signal
> which announces that the document is closed.

There are two events that could be used, OnPrepareUnload that afair is
vetoable so your application could finish something it needs the
document for, and the unconditional OnUnload event. For both events you
could switch off calling the corresponding modified() when received.

For general handling see
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OfficeDev/Document_Events

However, that's a bit outdated and instead of the deprecated
XEventBroadcaster and XEventListener the successors
XDocumentEventBroadcaster and XDocumentEventListener interfaces should
be used, see
http://api.libreoffice.org/common/ref/com/sun/star/document/XDocumentEventBroadcaster.html

Still, for the apparent race condition I'd like to see if Calc's
XVolatileResult::modified() implementation could be changed such that in
case the corresponding document is in close the mutex isn't attempted to
be locked anymore.

> Please correct me if there is something wrong with my thought.

No, nothing :-)

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD