Definition of draw:angle in ODF1.2 does not fit to implementation

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Wed Aug 1 11:38:35 PDT 2012

Hi Armin,

Thanks for your valuable comment.

I had thought that the description using "clockwise" was in reference to the page appearance and not the abstract treatment (with "right-hand rule").  Perhaps I misunderstand where the origin is understood in the projection onto the page.

MORE IMPORTANT CONCERN

I think you raise a more important question concerning changing for ODF 1.3 and understanding a transformation between ODF 1.0/1.1/1.2/IS 26300 and ODF 1.3.

I recommend that there be no breaking change of draw:angle between ODF versions.  It is probably best to deprecate it while clarifying the orientation of the angle-opening rotation and the units of the angle.  I think preventing down-level breakage is impossible without that and the support explanations will be a nightmare otherwise.  It seems to me that the ODF 1.2 description is best corrected in an Errata and the problem made immediately known in an OIC Advisory.

To correct the geometry for transformations, I suggest that another, rigorously-defined gradient element be introduced, preferably one from SVG.

If there is a down-level concern, I would define the new element such that, when it and <draw:gradient> are both present, the new element pre-empts <draw:gradient> in ODF 1.3 and beyond.  This way, a down-level implementation will presumably process the <draw:gradient> and ignore the element introduced in ODF 1.3, since it is not defined down-level.

Would that break the knot better?

 - Dennis