[GSOC-UPDATE](02.08) Impress Remote

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Aug 2 14:09:26 PDT 2012

Hi Andrezj,

On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 22:12 +0200, Andrzej J. R. Hunt wrote:
> Today I implemented server discovery using multicast -- the client can
> now successfully find the address of at least one server (once I get a
> build working on my desktop I'll test that everything works when there
> are two servers on the network).

	Oooh - lovely :-) How does that play with existing avahi stuff - or are
you going to do your own multicast discovery ? :-)

> Since osl Sockets don't appear to support multicast, the latest code on
> the LO side involves plain C sockets, however it appears that the code
> should be platform independent if the correct headers are imported.

	So - it -may- be more effective to abstract the cross-platform bits
behind the osl Socket API: it's the best place to do that.

	JFYI - extending sal/ API is a bit problematic; we can't change
existing methods for ABI compatibility reasons, so it's necessary to add
new methods. That in turn means you need to punch a new hole in the
relevant .map file or you won't be able to link. Checkout
sal/util/sal/map for that.

> I intend to try to rebase on master tomorow to allow me to test whether
> that builds over the weekend (I want to do a full debug build as well).
> Just to make sure: is git merge the correct command to use? (Git rebase
> would mess up histories as far as I can tell?)

	Nice - it sounds like it'd be great to get this into master. You don't
want to merge it to master, you want to re-base it on master instead.

	If you really want to do that yourself, then you'd want to read the
git-rebase manual quite carefully :-) then check the result in gitk.
Then again - you shouldn't have (m)any conflicts really. Failing that -
I'm happy to do it for you - just poke me tomorrow ... Hopefully it's
simply a matter of leaving a master build running overnight, and
creating a push-tree to avoid needing to pull up to master regularly :-)

	Exciting times; I guess we should compare progress vs. the sketch
schedule :-) so far it seems impressive to me.

	ATB,

		Michael.