Static src analysis of LibreOffice

John Smith lbalbalba at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 00:33:24 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 08/03/2012 03:42 PM, John Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> - Still lots of "external" stuff, dmake, libxmlsec/unxlngi6.pro,
>>> workdir/unxlngi6.pro/LexTarget, ...
>>>
>> Well, the analyzer simply follows/precedes whatever you tell 'make' to
>> do. So if the build includes 'make dbuild', then that *will* not only
>> get build, but analyzed as well and show up in the report. I was
>> hoping that adding '--with-system-libs' would solve that issue, but
>> apparently it doesnt. If there are ./configure switches to disable
>> compilation of those final parts - and Fedora pre-build system rpms to
>> replace them -  then all should be fine. Or perhaps the rest of this
>> 'external stuff' should be added to  '--with-system-libs', or get it's
>> own ./configure switch ?
>

> dmake will eventually be obsoleted by our new gbuild machinery and removed.
> For the time being, it could help to start analyzing only after dmake has
> already been build (it is built in ./bootstrap, so something like
> "./autogen.sh && ./bootstrap && make" instead of just "make" might help).
>
> workdir/unxlngi6.pro/LexTarget contains generated flex output, which itself
> is not external code, but the quality of that code, at least partly, is
> under the control of the external flex tool.  Something of a special case
> (hopefully leading to only a few reports anyway, which also might be
> worthwhile addressing in upstream flex if they are not false positives).
>
> In any case, such stuff should be something we can filter out in some way
> (post-processing the data -- is it only available as HTML, or also in some
> other format?), so I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Just wanted to note
> it down...
>

> Stephan

I'll take a look at building dmake before I start another analysis
next time, and see where that gets me. But for the time being, because
analysis literally takes *hours* Im just going to wait and see how
useful the current report is to people. Has anyone actually fixed a
bug yet, based on a analysis report ? (I think I have seen 1 post
about a bugfix on this list so far.).

- John