git review

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Aug 8 14:52:03 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 11:19:09PM +0200, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> > But IMHO git-review MUST work out of the box then -- without any setup.
> No! You don't dump a copy of git, bash and binutils, don't you?

Because they are install with ~all systems and are available on all system as a
nicely maintained package. Thats is not the case for git-review yet. Besides,
it is small and we should have in our repos anyway for safety when it becomes
part of our infrastructure. Besides we _have_ copies of boost, glib, expat and
openssl in our repos for valid reasons.

> Like described in link above, you have three options here:
> pypi-system-wide, pypi-user-local and distro package.
> No other options please.

Most people wont even know what pypi-system-wide is and dont want to know. And
they shouldnt need to.

We will loose possible contributors that way. Not an option. Patch submittal
has to work hasslefree and out of the box. This is really critical: there has
to be no extra step at all for patch submittal otherwise we failed.

Best,

Bjoern