[GSOC-UDPATE](17.08) Impress Remote

Andrzej J. R. Hunt andrzej at ahunt.org
Fri Aug 17 12:33:33 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I finally managed to get dbus control of bluetooth working today, and
started working on the actual communication -- the Android code seems to
be functional, and successfully pairs with my laptop, however I'm
currently getting a connection refused when opening a socket, which I'm
still debugging, but I suspect is due to misconfiguration on the LO side.

One issue is powering up bluetooth on Android: documentation insists
that you ask the user to switch on bluetooth: one option is to add an
item "Search for Bluetooth" devices on the selection screen which does
this, or alternatively to just ask the user every single time the app is
started. On a related note, I assume it's worth adding an "Add computer
manually" item to the same screen for cases where server discovery
doesn't work (e.g. if the router doesn't pass on multicast packets).

If it's ok with everyone I'm going to include cleaned bluetooth headers,
from android, in the source tree to avoid the need for installing a
library which isn't actually linked or used. (Headers viewable
http://gitorious.org/0xdroid/system_bluetooth/trees/59ca0be6dc8ef3f30f8f863d8fb805a55bf12fe5/bluez-clean-headers/bluetooth).

(I haven't pushed any of the code yet because it would probably break
the tinderboxes due to the missing bluetooth headers.)

Assuming tests on my home network go fine I should publish a first apk
this coming Monday, when I'll do the last bits of transitioning to ABS.

Cheers,

Andrzej