[GSOC-UDPATE](17.08) Impress Remote

Andrzej J. R. Hunt andrzej at ahunt.org
Mon Aug 20 12:53:01 PDT 2012

Hi Michael,
On 08/20/2012 01:30 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:

>> One issue is powering up bluetooth on Android: documentation insists
>> that you ask the user to switch on bluetooth: one option is to add an
>> item "Search for Bluetooth" devices on the selection screen which does
>> this, or alternatively to just ask the user every single time the app
>> is started.
> 	I -imagine- that UX wise, enabling bluetooth during a pairing flow, and
> disabling it again if we don't connect is perhaps the best plan from a
> UX & battery perspective ?
Yes, I think that's probably best, and easiest to implement.

>>   On a related note, I assume it's worth adding an "Add computer
>> manually" item to the same screen for cases where server discovery
>> doesn't work (e.g. if the router doesn't pass on multicast packets).
> 	Yep - I guess so; "type your IP address here" or whatever ?
Ok. I'll probably also implement some form of emulator detection (i.e.
if 10.0.2.2 exists  then add an Entry "Emulator host" to the list of
servers) to simplify testing since server discovery doesn't work (and
neither does bluetooth) when on the emulator.

>> If it's ok with everyone I'm going to include cleaned bluetooth
>> headers, from android, in the source tree to avoid the need for
>> installing a library which isn't actually linked or used. (Headers
>> viewable
> 	Makes perfect sense; it'd be good to ensure that these are in a
> top-level directory, with a link to where they came from (as below).
Would it be appropriate to place these in external, or do you mean a top
level bluetooth folder? (I'd already put them into the remote folder,
where I use them, but I can change that fairly simply.)

>> Assuming tests on my home network go fine I should publish a first apk
>> this coming Monday, when I'll do the last bits of transitioning to
>> ABS.
> 	Perhaps the best thing to do is to get a 'make' in android/ to compile
> the .apk inside our build tree, and work with Tor to get them building &
> up-loading automatically from the new Android tinderboxen :-)
I'll try and add that. (For now I can upload them manually though.)

> 	Nice work though,
>
> 		Michael.

Thanks,

Andrzej