(great) widget layout progress

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 08:36:42 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 12:50 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Do we have a "GtkFixed" style back-compat hack that will continue to
> nail widgets into their places, but do it in TWIPS such that we could do
> a one-shot conversion of everything and then iterate ? [ then let the
> designers re-work them incrementally ].

Planned something of that nature, in parallel with converter utility
thing. i.e. have converter do the simplest conversion possible to a
GtkGrid rather than guess/assign some layout.

> > [*] maybe the cast-happy syntax looks a bit vile.
>
> In my experience it is remarkably common for
> even programmers to tweak the XML and rename / loose widgets in such a
> way that the code crashes later ;-)

Yeah, maybe's kendy's suggestion might be the way to go, make it a build
time problem.

> 	Anyhow - I'm rather excited about this - it looks insanely cool :-) are
> there any notable blockers stopping us getting it into master ?

a) I'm working on a windows install to make sure it doesn't fall over
and die under windows immediately
b) print dialog looks "busted", so some change has screwed that over.
c) I need to stick my notes on the wiki

So, here's a nagging concern of my own, not big enough to bother me
greatly, but I haven't measured the size of increase due to the xml .ui
files vs the size of reduction of the binary resource format. I presume
that the .ui format is bigger, though its possible that the
trivially-simple xml format I'm using for just the translations that
maps to the single always-there en-US .ui file vs the full resource copy
of the binary scheme offsets that a bit.

C.