No output from ./autogen.sh --help and other getting started issues (Ubuntu)

B.J. Herbison bj at herbison.com
Fri Aug 24 02:47:04 PDT 2012

I'm trying to learn how to debug LibreOffice because of bug 53839 and I'm
having problems following the instructions from
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Native_Build .

Current blocker: After the following commands:
  $ git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core libo
  $ cd libo
  $ ./autogen.sh --help
no output is produced from autogen.sh because ./configure does not exist in
the libo directory. What step did I miss?

Issue 2:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Linux_Build_Dependencies
gives information for Natty, are there different instructions for Precise? I
presume so as the current instructions don't even install git.

Issue 3: The Libux dependency page says "Get upstream Junit at ...". OK, I
got the file, what do I do now? I presume it needs to go somewhere other
than my downloads directory.

I'll update the wiki with information I receive, then get on figuring out
why 3.6 crashes when I try to add a row to my spreadsheet.