gbuild support for external projects

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 04:33:55 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 09:00:45AM +0200, David Tardon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have created a new gbuild class UnpackedTarball that handles preparing
> sources for external project: unpacking, patching and a bit more
> (required by clucene). It is based on the custom target from module
> clucene, which is itself based on Norbert's ExternalLib gbuild class, I
> think (I have not reused ExternalLib, because I only wanted to handle
> the preparation part). I also updated clucene and ucpp (the only two
> external modules converted to gbuild so far) to use it. With this in
> place, I hope we can relatively easily convert the dozen or so external
> modules that are built by dmake (BUILD_ACTION=dmake) now.
>
> As for the rest of the external modules, my current idea is to use
> free-form makefile, like CustomTarget, for everything but preparation of
> sources. That would match the current dmake makefiles pretty well, I
> think...
>
> The code lives on branch feature/gbuild_external. I am pretty confident
> it will not break on Windows, but I will not mind testers :-) If there
> are no violent objectives, I will merge it to master in 1-2 days.

The branch has been merged, with two additions:

1. I have created another gbuild class ExternalProject to be used for
   arbitrary external projects (and removed ExternalLib, that has become
   obsolete). I have converted hsqldb as an example.

2. I merged another branch, feature/gbuild_extras, that converts module
   extras, into it. The extras module only contains data, so there
   should be no platform-specific problems.

D.