Shift 3.7.0 or 3.7.X releases - was: ANNOUNCE: Release plan updated - two weeks between RCs

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Thu Aug 30 08:14:02 PDT 2012

Petr Mladek píše v Čt 30. 08. 2012 v 16:53 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> on the recent ESC call, we agreed to try two weeks between RCs. It will
> allow QA to do more testing. Also it will allow developers to fix the
> found regressions.
>
> Please, find the updated release plan at
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

As mentioned, the 3.7.0 release and 3.7.1-rc1 are planed for the same
week now. It is bad because there is no time to proceed feedback from
3.7.0 users.

Possible solutions:

1. Make 3.7.0 two weeks earlier. I am not happy to change this so close
   to the feature freeze.

2. Make 3.7.X bugfix releases 1 or 2 weeks later. It might cause
   troubles for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other distros who planed to use .3
   bugfix release in their distro releases.

   Well, they might use 3.7.3-rc1 or 3.7.2. They should be pretty good
   as well. The number of weeks for bugfixing stays the same.

3. Remove 3.7.0-rc3 or some beta. It would mean to do the hard code
   freeze 1 or two weeks earlier => less time for testing and fixing

4. Do 3.7.0-RCs every week (use the original schedule). There is not
   enough time for feedback => demotivating for QA.

I think that the 2nd solution is the best compromise for 3.7.0. The 1st
variant would be best for the further releases (3.8.0, 3.9.0).

Bjorn, Caolan, others, would you mind if we delay 3.7.X bugfix releases
by 1 or 2 weeks?

Best Regards,
Petr