random number generators for calc

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 08:29:39 PST 2012

Hi tino,

On Saturday, 2012-12-01 11:22:09 +0000, tino wrote:

> > but why do we need a wrapper around boost in sal?  i mean i haven't
> > looked at the boost random stuff but unless its interface is horrible
> > (always a possibility with boost i guess) _and_ there are multiple
> > places where we'd want to call it, then why not use it directly from
> > Calc's formula implementation?
>
> I guess that's for someone more experienced to comment on. My simple
> reason was rtl::math seems a good collection of maths functions this
> may fit in,

Actually rtl::math offers methods available with one or the other
compiler but not all or unifying them, like isFinite() and erf() and
such, or methods of general interest like approx...() and the safe
sin(), cos(), ... methods.

IMHO rtl::math is not a place for an abundant choice of RNGs.

I can also hardly imagine that other applications than Calc would
actually need them, anyhow, keeping all in one source file under
sc/source/core/tool/ that could be moved down to svl/ if needed looks
best to me.

> and there's no decision yet if RANDNORMAL() etc should be
> implemented in sc or scaddins (or at all?).

I'd prefer in sc.

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD
Support the FSFE, care about Free Software! https://fsfe.org/support/?erack