Putting support for precompiled headers back in

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Dec 10 04:49:27 PST 2012

On Monday 10 of December 2012, Michael Stahl wrote:
> On 10/12/12 12:54, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > - lack of a tinderbox to test it - I intend to switch #6 to use it and
> > see how it works in practice
>
> hopefully we'll get faster tinderbox turnarounds too...

 Actually, #6 has been doing incremental builds for a while and seems to do
fine, so #6 is already often pretty fast as it is.

> these precompiled_foo.hxx used to be checked in and essentially manually
> maintained, and a lot of them were actually empty - do we have some plan
> how to automate maintenance of these headers?

 Attached is what I have so far.

> one option would be to generated that from the generated object
> dependency makefiles... but probably that isn't going to be simple
> because of "special" headers that need to be included in particular
> order or with particular #define before and #undef after...

 I'd consider those to be mostly broken, and if it can't be helped for some
reason, they can be blacklisted.

> another way is to grep through the cxx files... but there the problem is
> #ifdefs around #include.

 That can hopefully be sufficiently handled in some way too.

> ,,, is there some pre-existing tool to generate the PCH input headers?

 http://gamesfromwithin.com/the-care-and-feeding-of-pre-compiled-headers has
something using gcc -H / msvc -showIncludes output , but I think I'll go with
my script based on parsing the .cxx files instead.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz