when to backport

Luke Deller luke at deller.id.au
Wed Dec 12 01:00:56 PST 2012

Hi,

Newbie developer question: what is the convention around here for
backporting fixes to branches?

I see that the 3.6 release plan in wiki says "only important bug fixes",
but what counts as important?  If a fix seems moderately important to me
do I just repost my patch to gerrit against the release branch (perhaps
a few days after it was committed to master to let it settle), and see
if the reviewer agrees it is important?

What about if my fix is not burningly important, but it seems small and
safe - is that something I should resubmit for a release branch too?

Should all fixes be submitted to both 3.6 and 4.0 branches at this
stage, or are we more selective with the former branch?

Thanks,
Luke.