Anti-aliasing via GPU

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Wed Dec 12 09:53:31 PST 2012

Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> I'm just wondering, whether our anti-aliasing is done strictly at software
> level, or via hardware, and if former, what it would take to do it via
> hardware so that we can take advantage of GPU to speed it up if it's there.

On Linux, we use cairo, and XRender directly in vcl, so in theory that
trapezoid rendering should be hw-accelerated. There were some
unfortunate impedance mismatches though between cairo and gpu
semantics, so at times this will fallback to software rendering.

On Windows, we use gdiplus, which is notoriously slow. Optionally
using WPF there might speed things up a bit, haven't looked any closer
yet, though.

If you want to look into offloading things to the GPU, using platform
API that might use accelerated paths in the background appears most
economic to me; beyond that, the most promising area is image scaling
and filtering for anything that goes directly to the hw...

Cheers,

-- Thorsten