Anti-aliasing via GPU

Noel Grandin noel at peralex.com
Wed Dec 12 22:51:52 PST 2012

On 2012-12-13 01:02, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> On 12/12/2012 05:07 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
>>
>>> On Windows, we use gdiplus, which is notoriously slow. Optionally
>>> using WPF there might speed things up a bit, haven't looked any
>>> closer yet, though.
>>
>> IIRC, Cairo also runs on win32, so why not using it instead of gdi+ ?
>
> How is cairo's performance against gdi+ on Windows?  Do you know?

Ideally, we should be targeting Direct2D on Windows, only falling back
to GDI+ for older operating system version (before Vista).

Cairo uses GDI+ on Windows by default.
It looks like Mozilla wrote a Direct2D backend for Cairo, but I can't
seem to find out if it was ever integrated back into the main Cairo
library (cairographics.org is currently unreachable for me).

-- Noel Grandin.