git-new-workdir

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Thu Dec 13 07:21:38 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 02:21:18PM -0500, Kohei Yoshida wrote:

> Not following the thread fully I'm not sure what this is about.  I'm
> guessing this is about git-new-workdir vs submodules.

> To put it short, I got it to work, and so far I haven't seen any
> major issues but some occasional oddities which I just dismiss for
> now.

What version of git do you use? I haven't gotten it to work on the
submodules, actually. So I duplicate the submodules currently.

I'd appreciate a description of how did it, actually.

> To me git-new-workdir is not about diskspace, but about avoiding the
> hassle of managing multiple local repos.  Keeping it in one local
> repo make it easier to manage especially when I tend to cherry-pick
> between branches quite a lot.

Exactly. In its absence, you have to constantly push/pull from one
local repo to the other, and that's a hassle.

--
Lionel