[PUSHED] Re: Remove save to old Microsoft office formats

Bryan Quigley BryanQuigley at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 13 15:21:18 PST 2012

Hi all,

> Was discussed in ESC call, so pushed to master and 4.0 now.
Thanks!

 > Could you update the features page with this info
I updated this page http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.0 with:
Dropped support for legacy Word and Excel (version 6.0/95) files.
These files can still be opened, but they will save in your default
format (usually .odt/.ods).

> Wow - that's bold :-)
Glad it got approved as is.  4.0 is a good time to do things like this :)

> I assume the root problem you want to fix is of users accidentally
> picking the wrong format in the filter / drop-down and getting a
> needlessly bad experience here ?
Correct.  They may have been told things like, "make sure to use the
old version of .doc".

It's generally easier to pick what you want on a shorter list as well.

Thanks again,
Bryan