[RFC] syslog output from SAL_* messages

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue Dec 18 00:42:47 PST 2012

On 12/17/2012 09:15 PM, Riccardo Magliocchetti wrote:
> i've refreshed my patch for adding possibility to send SAL_* messages to
> syslog. I have two issues:
> - am not able to send the ENABLE_SYSLOG definition down to
> sal/osl/unx/salinit.cxx

You need to add it to config_host.mk.in to have it visible in
solenv/gbuild/gbuild.mk (or use the newly introduced mechanism of adding
a config/config_*.h that you then include in sal/osl/unx/salinit.cxx,
removing the change from solenv/gbuild/gbuild.mk again).

> - if i add calls to SAL_INFO in vcl/headless/headlessinst.cxx like, i
> see the fprintf but i don't see the SAL_INFO one. Tried with SAL_WARN,
> same result.

Did you configure --enable-dbgutil or at least --enable-debug?

Also, the definition of sal_use_syslog in sal/osl/all/log.cxx is in an
unnamed namespace, so the extern declaration in sal/osl/unx/salinit.cxx
is unrelated (and the code should result in a link error?); so move the
definition out of the unnamed namespace.  It would be best to place the
extern declaration into a header anyway, but it looks like there is no
good header directory that would be included from both sal/osl/all and
sal/osl/unx, so short of that please at least add comments to the
declaration and definition linking those two together across the two
.cxx files.  And in any case, wrap sal_use_syslog in #ifdef ENABLE_SYSLOG.

Stephan