[Libreoffice] minutes of ESC call ...

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 1 04:03:37 PST 2012

2012/2/1 Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com>:
> On 01/27/2012 04:44 PM, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
>>>
>>> * unit test framework issues (Markus)
>>>        + we are missing an important feature
>>>        + cppunit development appears dead/stalled for 2+ yrs
>>>                + but we support system-cppunit
>>>        + can we not just declare ourselves the new up-stream
>>>          for cppunit (Lionel)
>>>        + requiring an internal cppunit not a big deal ? (Norbert)
>>>                + always internal one for dbgutil anyway (Markus)
>>>        + three options: (Stephan)
>>>                1. always use internal / patched version
>>>                2. there is a cppunit2 in Launchpad
>>>                        + is it compatible ? or even more active ?
>>>                3. re-evaluate whether we need cppunit, or something
>>>                   else: google stuff eg. 'testing framework'
>>>        + looked into cppunit2 (Markus)
>>>                + stopped development at same time ~2009
>>>                + project dead too.
>>>        + prefer our own version, or switch to new framework
>>>          for integration tests (Markus)
>>> AA:     + create new cppunit repository at freedesktop (Michael)
>>> AA:     + import existing cppunit repo into it (Markus (with Kendy))
>>

>> With a lot of help by kendy done. Repository is now at
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/cppunit. I also tagged several
>> of the last releases so that you get them easily if needed.
>>
>> I added some of our own patches and will now have a look how to
>> integrate the needed functions. Talk to me if you think that we are
>> missing a cppunit feature for testing Libreoffice. The point I want to
>> implement for our internal tests is a setUp/tearDown method per
>> Fixture/Suite/TestClass ( extremelly important for all tests based on
>> BootstrapFixture[Base])
>

> So, what is our general plan here?  Is the below accurate?
>
> 1  Add new code to freedesktop.org/libreoffice/cppunit.

Yes, I plan to add a setUpFixture/tearDownFixture that makes it
possible for us to correctly start and terminate our BootStrapFixture
based tests.

> 2  Make a cppunit-1.13.0 release from there (last release from its old
> sourceforge home is 1.12.1).

Yes. I have adapted the relevant entries in cppunit already and think
that after adding this little feature and upstreaming our own patches
we can think about tagging 1.13

> 3  Make LO pull external cppunit-1.13.0 tgz from
> freedesktop.org/libreoffice/cppunit (instead of cppunit-1.12.1 tgz backed up
> at http://dev-www.libreoffice.org/src), adapt configure.in to require
> cppunit 1.13.0 (instead of 1.12.0).

Sounds like a good idea.

> 3.1  Adpate LO unit tests to make use of new cppunit features.

See Point 1. I hope that this allows us to terminate LibO in our tests
and find the tearDown errors we sometimes see in JUnit test also in
the Cppunit tests. Since these tests are executed more often we may
find some of these problems earlier and make in the same step our java
based tests more reliable.

> 3.2  Tell people building LO --with-system-cppunit (incl. distro packagers)
> that they need to upgrade their system's cppunit from the old sourceforge to
> the new freedesktop or use --without-system-cppunit.
>
> 3.3  Convince distro packagers to switch from the old sourceforge to the new
> freedesktop.

I will write a mail to the debian packager and I think David did it
for Fedora. At least the debian guys did not use plain Cppunit-1.12
but backported several of the fixes that went in after 1.12 into their
package.