[Libreoffice] getopt in sal/osl

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 07:04:30 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/2012 05:14 AM, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>>
>> Looking at gbuildifying idlc, I noticed the glibc hack to get a getopt
>> implementation on platform that don't have a native one.
>>
>> so, I wrote a gnu-compatile implementation based on
>> http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man3/getopt.3.html
>>
>> and I intend to add it to osl for platform that do not define
>> HAVE_GETOPT="YES" in configure.in
>
> [...]
>
>> If you feel strongly against that, please let me know.
>

> I'm not too excited, given that our code base is already too large, anyway,
> and adding something to sal has higher maintenance implications than adding
> it outside the URE interface.

I can add in somewhere else... is sounded like sal was a natural... on
the other hand it could be re-used in a couple of soltools executable
so, maybe I could  put it there, as a static lib
Note that getopt is used in idlc and rscdep and partially
re-implemented in soltools/cpp and soltools/javadep

> So, if there is a reasonably cheap alternative (like Boost's Program
> Options), I wouldn't mind if we used that instead.

getopt is used in C-programs. what I did was a drop-in 'replacement'
(that compile to nothing on platform that have a native one). cramming
C++ and  boost into these does not seems to help for 'our code base is
already large' or 'high maintenance' at least for me.

Norbert