Bug 37775 - EasyHack: Recent Documents not updated by Save & Save As...

Muhammad Haggag mhaggag at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:04:14 PST 2012

Hello, folks.

<begin quote from bug, comment 4>
I'm investigating, and it seems to me that the current behavior is "by design".
Whether that design is sensible is up for debate.

The current behavior is that a document is added to the "Recent Documents" list
when it's closed (OApplicationController::disposing, line 437 in
AppController.cxx:
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/dbaccess/source/ui/app/AppController.cxx).
To walk through the repro scenario:
1. Create and save new document "A" -> Current document is "A".
2. Modify and "Save As" document "B" -> Current document is now "B". "A" was
not closed, merely renamed.
3. Close Writer -> Document "B" closes, and writes itself to the "Recent
Documents" list.
4. On startup, you only see "B", the document that closed.

I checked MS Word 2007's behavior, and it updates the list immediately on Open,
Save, and Save As.

If the current LO behavior is indeed inappropriate, we can modify the all
document loading/saving operations (Open, Save, Save As, Save All, etc.)
handlers to also update the "Recent Documents" list.
</end quote>

Any objections to modifying the behavior of: Save, Save As, Save All,
and Open (through File->Open or the list of recent documents) to
update the recent documents list?

Regards,
--Muhammad