Cannot build on Debian: no fontconfig and unmet dependencies

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Mon Feb 13 01:02:41 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 04:19:17PM +1000, Andrew Roffey wrote:

> I have been trying to build LibreOffice on Debian Squeeze using the
> instructions at
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Native_Build

> $ apt-get build-dep openoffice.org
>  libcairo2-dev : Depends: libpixman-1-dev (>= 0.18.4) but it is not
> going to be installed
>  xulrunner-dev : Depends: libnss3-dev but it is not going to be installed
> E: Build-dependencies for openoffice.org could not be satisfied.

> What should I do in this situation? Any help appreciated.

This looks like you run not a pure squeeze, but a mix of squeeze and
wheezy (testing). Either install libpixman-1-dev from wheezy, or
downgrade the cairo packages to their squeeze version. (downgrades are
not guaranteed/tested to work by Debian) I expect the
xulrunner-dev/libnss3-dev thing is similar.

To do things a bit more manually:

apt-cache showsrc openoffice.org|grep ^Build

Install all packages in the Build-Depends and Build-Depends-Indep
lines.

> I ran ./autogen.sh, but I currently am getting the following error:

> checking for FONTCONFIG... no
> configure: error: Package requirements (fontconfig >= 2.2.0) were not met:

> No package 'fontconfig' found

Install package libfontconfig1-dev. Then rerun autogen.sh, you'll get
a different "this is missing" message, install what it asks for,
etc. Because many things are required, this method can take quite some
time, alas. You may prefer to get the "build-dep" shortcut working
first.

--
Lionel