Trying to understand why LO seems freezed for some seconds when a module is started

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Feb 13 01:41:20 PST 2012

On Sat, 2012-02-11 at 10:24 -0800, julien2412 wrote:
> On master branch (not on 3.5 branch), each time I start a module Calc,
> Writer or Impress (I didn't test on others), when I begin to type something,
> it seems to freeze for some seconds (about 10 secs) then everything seems
> ok.

	That sounds -very- much like the java grammar checker - LanguageTool.
This behaviour is entirely expected - we defer the horrible first-start
performance penalty of the JVM until the very last minute, but as you
start to type ...

	Bang ! ;-) and yes, I've seen this on at least three users' laptops
they brought to me saying "OO.o performance sucks" and simply removing
the Java grammar checker removed the eight to ten second hang that
occurs in each module when you start interacting ;-) Not having that is
one of the big wins of the new LightProof checker  ...

	Of course; quite why we're activating any Java stuff when you start
typing in master, I don't know - you're sure it's not sharing some Java
extension installed in ~ ?

	I guess running under gdb, hitting ctrl-c in the hang, winding the
stack-trace back to see what is activating that stuff would help get us
closer to the pain.

	All the best,

		Michael.