OK to get rid of scaddins?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Feb 13 06:47:22 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 12:38 +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
> the sc, sd, sw libraries already take forever to link with full debug,

	You link with full debug ? :-)

> and adding more stuff to them would also impact startup performance for
> the respective application.

	Not necessarily; by merging libraries together we can potentially
improve startup performance a fair bit. Fewer scattered libraries on
disk means better access times, more scope for LTO, and faster run-time
linking.

> (of course i don't care if you do it for a special "merged libs" mode,
> but C++ development is already a sufficiently unproductive activity that
> we shouldn't make it even more so...)

	Is it necessary to build with full debug enabled ? how slow is it
really ? [ if it takes ten minutes - how slow is it to re-build with
just the bits you want symbols for & re-run whatever you're
debugging ?].

	I wonder if the new 'gold' linker will help performance wise - have you
tried it ?

	Regards,

		Michael.