New tool for better understanding the codebase, to complement the wiki.

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Feb 15 02:02:05 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 23:01 +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 02/14/2012 10:39 PM, Josh Heidenreich wrote:
> > Do we need licence blocks in a README? Can we just write the licence in
> > on all pages generated by the script?
>
> My (naive?) take on it is that, technically, all the files committed to
> the git repo are "source files" that should have a legal header.

	I think that's rather an over-conservative approach ;-)

	Certainly, everything that is included in the end-product needs
cast-iron legal provenance, but the excessive and un-necessary presence
of legal boiler-plate everywhere makes this horribly ugly IMHO.

	That's particularly true for a few lines of README, committed by people
who have made broad licensing commitments anyway :-) And even more
particularly when using source code licenses for things that are not
source code ;-)

	Personally, seeing that hideous Oracle (C) and vast ugly license block
intruding into our world, I'm tempted to junk and re-write the text from
scratch to avoid having that stuff borking up our nice new, clean README
system :-) If we want to retain the text, we could move that README away
again I think.

	ATB,

		Michael.