[PUSHED] x11 / cairo-less build try #3

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Feb 21 07:07:18 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 09:21 +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> > 	Nice - IMHO this is all a bit silly - the 'main' has no wrapper 'catch'
> > around it, so if we get an un-caught exception we bomb out in a very
> > unpleasant way for no particularly good reason.
> > 	Stephan - is there a reason why we would not catch and print something
> > helpful (a native dialog?) on unhandled exceptions around master ?
> In my experience, such exceptions typically indicate a programming error
> (either in actual program code, or in the way the bits of the program
> are combined into an installation set).  And for programmers, it is
> often more helpful to see the direct consequences of such error than
> some "helpful" mediation on LO's part (like the infamous "The user
> language cannot be determined" message, typically caused by some problem
> that has zero to do with any locale data, only leading devs to start
> searching in the wrong direction).

	Haha :-) indeed, however a pathalogical, silent abort, without even an
auto-save, or any message from the exception is rather unfortunate
too ;-)

	So - what would the dis-advantages be of having an un-conditional catch
wrapper around main that builds a useful string from the exception's
contents (which while English, is usually more useful than an
unexplained failure) ?

	Of course, we wouldn't necessarily need a native dialog for that - but
from a bug reporting perspective - a bug with -some- pointers is more
useful than a bland "it fails to launch" thing, presumably.

	ATB,

		Michael.