Most elegant way to disable all BASIC functionality?

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 10:49:56 PST 2012

>> and what is the substantial difference between interpreting a Basic
>> script and a Calc formula ?
>
> Turing completeness? Dunno...
>
> In fact, my knowledge of what the BASIC in LO can be used for is quite
> limited... Maybe if one would just limit the BASIC functionality to do
> simple manipulation the data in spreadsheets, and remove access to
> arbitrary existing UNO services it might be allowed?

Well, uno service available need to be installed, hence would have
been approved alreaady, so using them should not be prohibited...
bu yes, I take that prohibition has an attempt to prevent 'system'
interaction... which mean that a compromise may be to selectively gut
the Basic supported features.

> But people might
> still then be able to write quite complex "applications" in LO BASIC
> (and distribute them as spreadsheet documents) , and opening up
> unmoderated application distribution routes is exactly what the rules
> want to prevent, surely.

I would not be more royalist than the king by removing useful feature
preemptively. Let Apple pay its greed with bad PR first.
There is way to know in advance what excuse Apple will use to refuse
that app. I think your best shot is to concentrate on what you
technically have to do to get something running and usable, then let
Apple and the EU battle it out about the extent to which Apple can gut
a product to protect its bottom line.

Norbert