Most elegant way to disable all BASIC functionality?

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 22:34:50 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Tor Lillqvist <tml at iki.fi> wrote:
>> The whole discussion is non-technical. Removing Basic from the product
>> would not be a technical decision.
>
> Maybe not, but *how* do do it (which is what I ask) is a technical question.
>
>> I would find it counter-productive to make the product less useful for
>> fear that, maybe, Apple would object to it.
>
> Of course anybody is free to submit (once licensing issues have been
> resolved, presumably) for App Store review an app based on our code
> that *does* include BASIC functionality. It wold be fairly trivial to
> replace the current small number of places where $(OS) == "IOS" is
> checked with checks for $(DISABLE_INTERPRETERS) == "TRUE" or somesuch
> instead.

from a technical point of view that would make more sens: separating
what you are doing (disable interpreter) vs why you are doing it
(ios).

The 'disabling' of interpreter is not technically inherent to IOS, nor
is it necessarily the only platform concerned by it.
(one could imagine someone taking advantage of that to create a 'safe'
version for another platform)

Norbert